>Dear George,
>

>Could you be kind enough to present the masterpiece of administrative
>jargon you quoted in understandable English? Just for the benefit of us
>poor and restricted souls who do not speak English as a native language.
>
>Yours ever,
>
>Jussi Hanska

Dear Jussi,

thank you for your query. Indeed, I am sure many native speakers will find the
announcement difficult to understand, but a summary of it is this:

Mailbase, a body founded ten years ago in order to co-ordinate e-mail lists that are
based in the United Kingdom, has had to place a bid to a government body ('JISC';
don't ask me what it stands for!) in order to justify and continue its existence. The
government body, although agreeing that Mailbase has done a superb job of providing
such an excellent infrastructure and service (to a country particularly resistant, at
first, to such an innovation as e-mail lists), has decided not to continue to fund
Mailbase. Instead, it is funding another body which has placed a bid to provide this
service. Those of us who use Mailbase might find the service will improve; we might
discover that things will get worse; we may (indeed, probably will) find that things
will remain largely as they are.

This, for Mailbase, is precisely the gratitude that people and organizations in the
UK have come to expect from a Thatcherite and neo-Thatcherite pseudo-corporate
mentality that prefers slightly lower costs above loyalty, innovation, dedication and
(how un-British!) success.

The shortest possible summary would be this: our list management will be changed next
year, but this change will not cause users of the list any disruptions.

Best wishes,
George

PS: I apologize for the polemics. I won't do it again. Really, I won't. Honestly.