I for one bemoan nothing. These things happen. I also agree that some
children know more about other religions than their parents. What
concerns me is not the multi-culturalism issue (not terribly relevant in
Fraserburgh and Rhynie) but the secularziation question. Hence
I am less interested in what people know about and more concerned with
what they have been immersed in. What they learnt to take for granted.

Knowing a bit about what some other people do is no substitute for
being steeped in a religious culture. A shared religious commitment
requires a common culture. A common religious background is not a
sufficient condition for belief but it is a necessary one. Hence its
disappearance has huge implications for religiosity in modern
societies.

I suppose my major concern is the question of innate religious needs.
Many scholars argue that we are essentially religious (the
Stark-Bainbridge theory of religion is a case). Hence if one church or
tradition declines another must take its place. A thoroughly
sociological view would argue that religiosity, like most everything
else, is learnt and that it requires 'steeping'. If a generation is
raised in a secular environment, it will remain what Weber called
'religiously unmusical'.

While multi-cultural education may be good for what we used to call
race relations, it implicitly promotes a relativistic view of the truth
that undermines commitment. This is, of course, as much a threat to
the minority religions of the UK as it is to what were once the
dominant traditions.

Steve Bruce
Professor of Sociology
Sociology
University of Aberdeen
Aberdeen AB24 3QY

Tel: 01224 272761 (work); 01467 671595 (home)