The Social Policy Association has been invited to nominate up to 3
members to participate in a Workshop to discuss and contribute to
the ESRC's review of its thematic priorities:  "Participants will
learn about the latest ESRC strategic thinking, hear the responses
of other participants in a range of disciplines and contribute to a
process that will help shape the research environment for the
future. Participation in this event will lead to specific
recommendations on the nature, content and direction of the Thematic
Priorities."

The Workshop is aimed specifically at "Young and New in
Post" researchers and is organised by ALSISS (Association of Learned
Societies in the Social Sciences).  It will take place in Leicester
on 12 January 2000; 6 workshop participants will then be selected to
contribute to a final major review meeting in early March.

We are seeking nominations (self-nominations perfectly acceptable)
from people willing to represent social policy at this
important workshop.  Are you:
*  a member of the SPA
*  a 'Young' or 'New in Post' researcher (or research active
lecturere, presumably - no definition is given!)
*  able to contribute a social policy perspective on future/long-term
research priorities.

Current post-graduate students are being recruited for the same
workshop by the ESRC via Postgraduate Liaison Officers.

If you'd like to contribute/attend the workshop, I'd be delighted to
hear from you!  We cannot guarantee places to all nominees, as the
SPA will need to ensure that it's 3 nominees represent a range of
interests/regions etc; also ALSISS will itself shortlist members for
the workshop from among the nominations submitted.  Please contact me
by 20 November, with details relevant to the 3 * criteria set out
above.  We are currently trying to clarify with ALSISS
responsibility for reimbursing expenses, but hope this will not be a
barrier to anyone wishing/able to attend
Caroline Glendinning
Hon Secretary, SPA
Caroline Glendinning
Reader in Social Policy
National Primary Care Research and Development Centre
Williamson Building
University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL
Tel 0161 275 7607