Would some one be wiser than Madden and tell me what does "walk in the wood" (wood in the singular) means ?

This appears three times in the story : first (on p 253 of the Penguin edition) when the narrator is told that "[He]will surely come again and walk in the wood."

Second on p 255 when "a woman" says "I reckon t'will Jenny's turn to walk in de wood next week." and then the narrator asks Madden what does "walk in the wood" mean, and Madden answers "It must be some saying they use hereabouts. I'm from Norfolk myself, ..."

Third :  on p 257 : Mrs Madehurst : "Jenny ? [...] she's walking in de wood now."

and when the narrator asks :"In this weather ?", Mrs M looks at him "with narrowed eyes", which supports the idea that the phrase should not be taken at face value.

Would someone from Sussex know what the natives mean ?

MXR
Max Rives  / Madeleine Rives
33 Rue des Mesanges
30400 Villeneuve les Avignon