Tiens ! un francophone ! êtes vous Français ?
dites moi , avez vous justement lu Kim ? peut être pourrions nous justement
avoir votre interprétation du passage ( dans le chapitre 9 , lorsque Lurgan
essaye d'hypnotiser kim , avec la cruche cassée )
Merci d'avance de votre réponse

audrey

The francophone takes risks in answering audrey's request :

Not knowing where does begin the text to be analysed, I will assume that the
whole of Kim is known from the students.

In the preceding chapter, Mahbub Ali orders Kim to go to Mr Lurgan's place.
He makes it clear that from that moment, Kim has to forget that he knows him
or Col Creighton

On two or three instances, we are told of what Kim thinks of what is
happening to him. When Lurgan tells him he will sleep in this room full of
Wonders, he thinks : « I think that Lurgan Shib wishes to make me afraid
... », then « This with a beggar from the bazzar might be good ...but I am a
Sahib... »

Then comes the episode of the jug of water, that Lurgan moves fifteen feet
to Kim's elbow in a second without spilling a drop, and has Kim breaking it
(so he says) by pitching it at random so that it crashes down.

Now what I think is a key point in the passage on the jug : why is Kim so
keen on avoiding being hypnotised by Lurgan ?

The first passages quoted show that he does not like being bullied by
Lurgan, and that he has understood that this is part of his being tested.

One can also observe that to protect himself from the magic, which would
work on the beggar from the bazzar, Kim, from St Xavier, resorts to a
typical (for him) Sahib's piece of knowledge (used as a sort of prayer) :
the multiplication table.

His guess is shown right by the attitude of Lurgan's toward him thereafter.
« It was only to see if there was - a flaw in a jewel. »

MKR