It is evident that some members of the mailbase prefer to have the web-site
quotations sent by email, rather than having to read them on the site, so we
are reinstating the emails.

The sources of last week's quotations (Oct 31 to Nov 6) were as follows:

1. Uncovenanted Mercies (souls waiting for their partners)

2. 'Captains Courageous' (Harvey's parents hastening to Goucester)

3. William the Conqueror (Scott heading south on a famine mission)

Next week's quotations (Nov 7 to 13) are:

1. ...'She used to look after us all, an' she never lost by it--not a penny!
"Pay me now," she'd say, "or settle later. I know you won't let me suffer.
Send the money from home if you like." Why, gentlemen all, I tell you I've
seen that lady take her own gold watch an' chain off her neck in the bar an'
pass it to a bosun 'oo'd come ashore without 'is ticker an' 'ad to catch the
last boat'...

2. ...He took charge of the tiller by stationing three Chinese on each side
of it, and standing a little forward, gathered their pigtails into his
hands, three right and three left, as though they had been the yoke lines of
a rowboat...

3. ...'he said "Show a little consideration. Your side's bound to win
anyway." I said: "Look here! I'm a middle-aged man, and I don't suppose my
conscience is clearer than yours in many respects, but this is business. I
can do nothing for you."..."Then I'm a dead man"'...

All contributions (and suggestions) gratefully received

John R