Haitham,

Look to your methodology to guide your choice of software and (more
importantly) your use of the software tools. I think that Nudist and
Decision Explorer have two very different underlying methodologies.

Very broadly (and thus on a somewhat simplistic level), Nudist is one of a
group of qualitative data analysis programs that basically follow a
code-and retrieve metaphor. You apply indexing terms to your document
text, according to your research need. Then, you can retrieve all text
coded to those terms for additional reflection and analysis. Nudist's
strength is its search tools, which allow you to look for various index
combinations, as well as searching document text. (Its newer
sister-product, NVivo, provides other ways of linking related data, and
there are other qualitative data analysis programs that offer similar
features.) For more information, the CAQDAS networking site provides a
bibliography of reviews and articles, plus links to developers' web sites.
(http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/caqdas/)

Decision Explorer is a concept-mapping program, commonly used in
management and business. From what little I've seen of it, there seems to
be a causal assumption underlying the methodology -- looks like its
intended to model systems. Web site is http://www.banxia.com/

Note that Nudist can export/import coding to Decision Explorer for
modelling. Clare Tagg has posted a very nice article on how to combine the
two at http://www.taggoram.co.uk/nudist/nudinsde.html. This might be a
good place to start getting a sense of how the two differ.

I am not at all familiar with Enquire Within, and would be interested in
any references you can supply.

Last advice: Whatever program you use, attend a training program on it.
Even if you are a highly competent computer user and researcher, a class
will help you understand how to integrate the software with your methods.

Good luck with your project!

Linda Gilbert
University of Georgia