 Dear Mel,
I agree that timed sit-ups is a useless test.  I have a few comments
to make also.
1. I doubt that if done properly, sit-ups can be repeated very
quickly and over numerous efforts.  In fact, I challenged a footballer
recently who claimed he did 50 sit-ups easily.  He showed me his
technique, most of which was momentum and maybe 10% actual
muscle contraction ( in which case he was relying on power
qualities).  I then got him to do them slowly without his feet
restrained, only going until his hands reached his knees, and
ensuring his feet stayed on the ground.  He could hardly do them.
2.  I disagree that abdominals are primarily strength and not endurance
muscles, although I have not seen a biopsy study of ratio type 1
to type II muscle fibres.  I say this because we know that the
abdominals (especially transversus and to some extent the obliques)
fire to stabilise the trunk for all upper limb activities.  This requires
an endurance quality, and often they need to fire submaximally
forlong periods of time.  I wonder if there is a time that they really
need to fire as maximally as sit-ups require?  (not saying there isn't
just can't think of one quickly).
Just some thoughts - let me know what you think.
Scott Epsley
PHysiotherapist- Brisbane Australia.