 Dear list,
I seem to have recieved some criticism of my comments, all be it
constructive as I'm sure it is intended.  I am still unconvinced that
ultrasound is an appropriate modality for early stage tendon repair.
Now, I admit, I'm not great at quoting research studies, and, if
I had the study available I would give details of its parametre (I do
read these things analytically and critically).  However, let me
further state my case.
Firstly, to wendy who suggests that mast cells degranulate, not
(as I put it) break down.  Here is possibly an error in my understanding.
I was of the opinion that when a mast cell releases histamine
granules, that it does so at the expense of it's cell wall, and thus
its life.  However, after consulting several physician friends and my
texts, I am unable to substantiate this.  could someone in a more
authoritative position on cellular physiology please help me to
understand this process better.

Secondly, my description of a controlled inflammatory process
was also questioned.  Is not inflammation a good thing when
limited to a certain amount, however above this destruction of
live and viable cells occurs.  Is this not why we use ice, elevation,
compression etc (not necessarily in that order - before I get
into more trouble!).  And as for the NSAID question also posted
recently, is it not why we use NSAIDs.  Thus, if US creates a
hap hazard and uncontollable inflammatory response you'd better
stop using it now!!  I was always taught that as another respondant
suggested, US was very dose related in its effects.

Thirdly, with reference to tendon repairs and US.  Is not a surgical
incision and debridment inflammatory enough to stimulate healing!!!
Why does one feel the need to further inflame the process in order
to aid healing.  Infact, this is detrimental to the outcome in my opinion
because one of the major problems of tendon repairs is adhesions
to surrounding tissue.  And unless your US machine is focal enough
to not promote mast cell degranulation in the various surrounding
tissues, you are, without a doubt going to cause increased fibroblastic
activity in these tissues and collagen deposition, and adhesions!
Now,no, I can't back th is up with any research study, but it makes
sense to me.

Fourthly, it was suggested that I was following a protocol because
"that is the way it has always been done".  However, the only
rebuttal to my answer was a quote from another lecturer, prefaced
by "I was always taught"!  I think I have shown some logic and
self thought on this topic, be I right or wrong.

I hope this is taken as it is intended, for further discussion.

Scott Epsley.