I like the idea of you heavy weights just 'toning' !!!

Erik Dombroski
AIT to be AUT from 2000,
School Of Physiotherapy,
Email: [log in to unmask]

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 11/16/99 05:29pm >>>
>Would someone kindly explain exactly what the real difference is
between
>"toning" and muscle or resistance training?  It is nothing more than
training
>with incidental resistance that produces minimal muscle bulk, is it
not? So,
>why not call it "light resistance training" then?

Of course you are correct, but it just comes down to definition.  If
the fitness industry wishes to remain within the scientific community
, then they need to use the term correctly.  If they wish to define
'toning' as perhaps you have alluded to then it becomes relative to
them and a problem to us (if we wish to make an issue about it).

>Does that mean that I and all of my older lifting colleagues are now
simply
>doing "toning" exercise?

An interesting thought, and really points out that strength training
doesn't have a linear relationship.

Certainly coming to a set of universally agreed definitions and
meanings would make the fitness and scientific community more
creditable to the man or woman who just wants to get on down to the
gym and 'pump iron.'

Cheers