Hello.  I've just joined the list.  My name is Karen Hartnup and I'm
studying at the Department of History, Edinburgh. I am a PhD student
looking at  popular beliefs in Greece in the medieval and early
modern periods.  I am also interested in the relationship between the
Orthodox and Catholic church during this period, particularly the
work of Leo Allatios.

I've been searching fruitlessly for a quotation which, according to
Christophoros Angelos, the author of my text,  comes from Cassian,
"the historian"  This is how it reads:

 "However, this is the argument.  This man Cassian  is an ancient
Greek Historian, and he relates in his histories that once a local
synod of one hundred bishops came together in a certain place, and,
with one exception, all came to a correct decision.  Then they struck
[this] bishop with an anathema and thus he ended his life under
excommunication, and his corpse remained bound for one hundred years,
as if it were iron.  After one hundred years another local synod of
one hundred bishops was assembled in the same place and the bishops
said among themselves: ‘A bishop struck by anathema sinned against the
church and the church excommunicated him.  We are also the church and
we forgive him, since it is human to sin.’   Thus they absolved him.
With the completion of the prayers, he who had remained undissolved
for one hundred years, disappeared into dust."

Any suggestions as to the origin of this text will be very gratefully
received!

Thanks,

Karen.