No claims to being an expert, but . . .

Shortly before his birth, a prophetess declared that if he were born at
dawn, he would be great before God and humanity, in heaven and on earth.
His mother decided "Vere, nisi per latera mea venerit, non egredietur ex
utero meo, donec illa hora veniet." So she sat on a rock, hoping to delay
the delivery until the right time.  Sure enough, he was born at dawn while
his mother was still sitting on the rock, too worn out to move.  His head
indented the rock, forming a bullaun, a concave rock holding holy water,
believed to have exceptional healing powers due to its connection with the
saint's birth.  A virtually identical story is told of Déclán, and bullauns
figure in other saints' Lives.

One of the things that interests me the most about Áed mac Bricc is his
connection with a miraculous non-birth, his performance of a miraculous (for
want of a better word) "abortion," an ability he shares with three other
Irish saints (Ciarán of Saigir, Cainnech of Achadh Bó, and Brigid), a
miracle that to my knowledge is unique to these four Irish saints.  His Life
in the Codex Salmanticensis relates that when he visited a community of
nuns, he noticed that the womb of one of the consecrated virgins serving him
"grew quickly without food, as if it might flee from that place.  Then she
confessed before all that she had sinned secretly and she did penance.  St.
Áed blessed her womb, and at once the baby (infans) in her womb disappeared
as if it did not exist."  (cito surrexit ille sine cibo, ut ab isto fugeret.
Tunc illa coram omnibus confessa est quod occulte peccasset et penitentiam
egit.  Sanctus autem Aidus benedixit uterum eius, et statim infans in utero
eius evanuit quasi non esset.)  The vita in the Codex Kilkenniensis retains
the story but omits reference to the disappearing fetus, and even the
version told in his Life in the CS is far milder than that told of Ciarán,
who "cured" the pregnancy of a nun who had been abducted by a neighboring
king; "When the man of God returned to the monastery with the girl, she
confessed that she was pregnant.  Then the man of God, led by the zeal of
justice, not wishing the serpent's seed to quicken, pressed down on her womb
with the sign of the cross and forced her womb empty." (Reverente vero vir
Dei cum puella ad monasterium, confessa est puella se conceptum habere in
utero.  Tunc vir Dei, zelo iustitie ductus, viperium semen animari nolens,
impresso ventri eius signo crucis, fecit illud exinaniri.)  These Irish
legends are similar to the tale of the Nun of Watton, but there we have
miraculous childbirth, here miraculous "abortion."  Does anyone know of
similar miracles told of other saints?

Maeve