> <snip> > I have stumbled upon another question that I do not
have the
> > resources to answer:
> > in modern Lebanon, in both Orthodox and Catholic Churches, olive
> > branches are used to scatter holy water. Olive branches are also
> used to
> > sprinkle holy water on the sick, elderly, and new-born infants.
> Does
> > anyone know either of a direct ref. to this practice in earlier
> times,
> > or of a good place to start looking for such information?
> >
> > thank you in advance,

An obvious - perhaps too-obvious point:  twigs of all kind are used for
sprinkling holy water.  The biblical plant prescribed is hyssop (cf.
Exodus 12:22 and ps. 50(51):9 "asparges me hysopo et mundabor" ("Thou
shalt purge me with hyssop and I shall be cleansed").  This verse is
(or was, when things were done properly) sung at the beginning of Mass
when the congregation is sprinkled with holy water, the priest suiting
the action to the word.  However, I would not know hyssop if I tripped
over it;  and it is not, apparently, certain that the plant referred to
in the Bible is the same one that is now known as hyssop.  I have used
privet, or the twig of any bush that happened to be growing
conveniently near my church.  In the mediterranean, olive is very
common and would serve this purpose.

The Supple Doctor.

=====