Heather Law wrote:

> I would think you'd want to take at least a cursory look at
> pre-Christian Greek practices - the olive has a looooong history,
> associated with Athena originally, in Greek mythology and culture.

<sigh> actually, that is one of many places I have already been...
Suprisingly, despite the Athena connection, which seemed obvious to me when
this all started, there is not quite so much evidence as I had hoped. The
olive tree was first domesticated in the Levant, in either Syria or Palestine,
in neolithic times. Athena herself has Libyan roots... Both these cultures
make more use of the Date Tree in their religious ceremonies and iconography,
from what i've discovered. This tradition is carried forward in the ceremonies
associated with Palm Sunday (one of many examples). Athena's association with
the Olive is quite prominent, and most early christian writings that mention
the Olive, set it down next to her name, generally in a list of Pagan Gods
that ought not to be worshipped. The other set of writings, which is what I am
focusing on, makes use of the image of Christ as the Olive Tree, particularly
in baptismal settings. Ephraem the Syrian's Virginal Hymns (4-7) are a
particularly impressive example of the symbolism involved. My real problem
right now is that I can see the glaring Athena imagery, and the equally
present Christ imagery, I have explored phoenician connections and the
Asherah, and I cannot find any links that are strong enough to make me
comfortable with the statement that the olive tree represents a common
mediterranean spirituality (though I definitely see connections to tree
worship in general). Likewise, I have been unable to find the reasons behind
the symbolism employed (it seems too simple to say that the olive was the tree
of life, literally, because so many other trees are given greater attention-
the date, the persimmon, the juniper- which do not have as many useful
properties). Another concern of mine is that these images seem to be
concentrated in the Levant, in the 4th Century. My initial interest in the
subject came from North African archeological evidence of a 2nd Century Martyr
buried on a bed of olive branches....

but I digress. I am looking for the particular use of Olive Branches to
sprinkle holy water, because one aspect of my research has been to talk with
the elderly in my father's villiage in rural lebanon, and to compare what they
remember of the pre-industrial culture to what I have found in earlier
writings. If there is a connection here, I would have one more area in which
the role of the Olive and its Oil have not changed significantly in thousands
of years. Dr. East's suggestion that the olive was at hand is logical and
useful. I shall return to the library and see if I can find mention of this in
a liturgical manual of some sort.

thank you again,

Rabia