>I am puzzled by an episode in the hagiography of Catherine of Siena, and I
>wonder whether the learned members of this list might be able to help me.
>The episode occurs in the Miracoli di Caterina di Iacopo da Siena, a
>vernacular account of the early life and deeds of Catherine of Siena
>written by an anonymous Florentine author in or around late 1374, after
>Catherine visited Florence for the first time.

Dear Tom
To add to Sharon Dale's point about context - I wonder whether Catherine's
association with the Soderini family and the Parte Guelfa in Florence
contributed to this writer's attitude?   The factionalism in Florence in
the 1370's was very bitter, with many leading families being exiled in
1377-8.  Gene Brucker describes all this in Florentine Politics and
Society, 1343 - 1378 (Princeton, 1962).  Brucker describes her (p.333) as
'intimately associated with the Parte leadership' and says 'she aroused
both enthusiasm and hostility within the city'.

Best
Catherine Lawless