I've been under the impression for some time that there is a passage in the
works of St Thomas Aquinas discussing corporeality of angels which was
satirized later by someone in terms of angels dancing on the head of a pin.
 And I find in *The Home Book of Quotations* compiled by Burton Stevens,
10th efition (1967):

"How many angels can dance on the point of a very fine needle without
jostling each other?
   ISAAC D'ISRAELI, *Curiosities of Literature, Quodlibets*.  Paraphrasing
an      idea in St. Thomas Aquinas, *Summa*."

I suppose, though, Disraeli could have been passing on an older saying.
There is memory tickling me that Erasmus once wrote something along these
lines.

Gordon Fisher     [log in to unmask]