At 06:09 PM 11/23/99 +0000, Bill East wrote:
>Probably the reason is that Roman numerals, esp. in
>> their medieval versions, e.g. xx with iv written above for 80, do
>> something that Indian/Arabic ones don't, which is to follow
>> contemporary speech patterns (4 score; 500 less 3; one hundred
>> and thirty four or whatever).
>
>I would have thought that Arabic numerals had a very simple and
>transparent way of writing one hundred and thirty four, namely 134.
>Much more in tune with speech patterns than cxxxiv.
>
>Oriens.

I suggest that what you say, Bill, is true today, but aren't you
overlooking changes in speech patterns?  As a mathematician, I came to
appreciate some time ago that positional notation (as it's called) of the
sort used in referring to a number by the numeral 134 rather than cxxxiv
took some ingenuity, involving many years of work and development by many
people, and that it took even more years for this method to spread into
more general public use.  The widespread use of positional notation, using
so-called Hindu-Arabic digits (represented by the individual numerals 1,3
and 4), appears to have only begun to spread in Europe in the quite late
Middle Ages, or one might even say the early Renaissance, because of the
interest taken in them by commercial people. (It's interesting to me to
note a kind of pun on the word "interest" here -- one can compare official
attitudes of the Roman Catholic Church toward usury with the desire of
embryonic Christian capitalists to lend and borrow with interest rates
attached.)

There is another thing that can be considered in connection with the use of
Roman numerals in the European Middle Ages.  Commercial people often relied
on the use of abacuses, which rely on a kind of built-in positional
representation of numbers, without using an explicit notation or names for
the numbers, i.e., no written or even spoken numerals are involved.  Also,
for everyday transactions, various kinds of so-called finger-counting were
in widespread use, which similarly don't require explicit use of names for
numbers.

Gordon Fisher    [log in to unmask]