>The *last* thing that we need is for "colloquials" to go round setting
>the standards for what passes as the rules of language (which is to say:
>of thought).

The statement above implies that language and thought are related in
such a way as when language is limited, thought is limited.  I have noticed,
for instance, in scholarship that is sensitive to the concerns of
post-modernism (such as  Jordan's _The Invention of Sodomy in Christian
Theology_) that language, in this case the artificially bounded
category 'sodomy', is said to be constitutive of thought.  My question
to the list is whether or not the kind of sentiment about language,
expressed above and in Jordan's book, etc., can be articulated without
falling prey to the linguistic fallacies exposed by James Barr and
embodied in every linguist's favorite fallacious example:
Bo(w?)man's _Hebrew Thought Compared with Greek_.  Or, does the sentiment
above reject Barr's arguments completely?  An answer to this question
would be helpful -- my exegetical (including linguistic and semiotic)
training seems to be conflicting with some of the historiography I've
been encountering in my historical theological training and I'm trying
to find a  way to relate the two or determine that they are in
disagreement.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Barlow
Ph.D. student, Historical Theology
St. Louis University
BARLOWnet.com
8547 Gulf Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130

(314) 429-0133 (During CST Office Hours)
(800) 252-5930 (Toll-Free, USA)
(305) 402-8336 (Fax)

(314) 429-6648 (After CST Office Hours)