	QAA express themselves in somewhat different terms from those which
you have used, Dick.   To quote: "Awards will only be termed postgraduate if
all - or (in certain cases) a defined and substantial majority - of the
assessed outcomes of study have been demonstrated to be at a more advanced
level than that of the honours degree.  All postgraduate awards will reflect
and be reviewed against postgraduate level descriptors."

	I don't believe that it follows from this statement that the award
	of  a Masters could only take place on those programmes where a
	degree in a cognate subject was an entry requirement.

	The challenge will be to show that the outcomes of our 'conversion'
Master's degrees are consistent with postgraduate level descriptors.  Not
impossible, I believe.  We might want to review our use of the term 'first
qualification programme', however.

	Best wishes

	Peter
Professor Peter Enser