Dear David & ISL Colleagues

Here at the Crewe site of MMU we have, in theory, a 75% attendance
requirement, but it has yet to be tested in anger.  In the last academic
year we invested a very large number of person houses in developing an
Access database for student attendance, recording their absences from
lectures and 'follow ups'.  However, this did not provide the cast iron
data that we would have needed to invoke failure through
non-attendance.  This was partly because it took so long to get all the
names right, and partly because students just love to attend any session
other than the one they are supposed to be in. (We have no proper
lecture theatre so our biggest lecture is only about 100, which means
multiple runs of everything).

This year the system is better, but the students still 'wander' from
group to group.  We are again investing a huge amount of person hours,
and are chasing up those first years that don't show up.  This seems to
be having some positive effects, but the old DIY manual registers would
have allowed us to achieve the same effect at a lower cost.

So what is the point of this rambling?  I think it is probably to
suggest that it is all too easy to tackle the 'wrong' problem.  Why are
we assessing students' attendance in the first place?  Surely if in HE
we really operate a criterion based assessment system, all that matters
is whether the students are up to the standard in the assessments.  It
does not matter if they skip my (boring) lectures.  However, if we are
into payment by results, then all this monitoring and control may
perhaps matter.

Does anyone have views on this?

Peter Cuthbert
Department of Business & Management Studies
Manchester Metropolitan University
Crewe Green Road
Crewe
CW1 5DU