I used to teach on the University of North London film studies
degree course where now 20% of each unit is for seminar
participation - it worked very well but was specific  because it
included a sub group being responsible for organising the seminar.
Students wrote a self reflective evaluative piece but then the tutor
gave the final grade. That was interesting - particularly in the
ways some students engaged, while some played the game. It was
certaibly ripe for self/peer assessment.
See my chapter 'Assessing seminbar work: students as teachers'in
Assessment for Leanring, ed. P. Knight, SEDA Kogan Page 1995

Dr. Phyllis Creme,
Student Writing Project,
School of Cultural and Community Studies,
University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QQ
On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 17:00:43 -0000
> From: Tamsin Haggis <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 17:00:43 -0000
> Subject: RE: Assessing attendance
> To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> With reference to assessing attendance, we are running a pilot
intensive
> Access programme (16 weeks) for recent school-leavers who just
missed
> getting the grades to get in to university.
>
> This is a specific cohort, who, because they are in a group
together
> intensively, seem to be maintaining a rather 'school-based'
approach to
> things, and who present rather unique problems in terms of
motivation,
> application etc.  In each module 10% of their marks is given for a
> combination of attendance, interaction, group skills, questioning
etc - and
> it seems to be having quite a good effect.
>
> Students in this category, and I suppose they are not really so
different
> from standard 1st year undergraduates, do have problems with the
transition
> from total teacher direction (at school) to the apparent freedom
of
> university study -perhaps this is one way of helping them with
their focus,
> in the early stages?
>
> Tamsin
> Tamsin Haggis
> Division of Academic Innovation and Continuing Education (DAICE)
> Airthrey Castle
> University of Stirling
> Stirling
> FK9 4LA