I take it 'suck eggs' refers to a return to a life of
rusticity, or as the ancient Roman would say, return
to a "pagan" (natural, rural, rustic, hillbillie) life?

In which case, yeah, you cant go back.  Back there aint
there no more.  However the point reminds me of the many
comparisons of our culture with that of ancient Rome,
the depravity of leaders which spread all the way down
to the people, the hypocrisy, corruption, et al.  All the
rhetoric of sermons dating from that era which condemn a
whole society which we still hear from pulpits now.

But, if I carry the metaphor even further, and note that
the new religion viewed the previous as 'old superstitions',
so likewise we are now seeing the beginnings of a movement
which views the religions (currently held by political and
economic leaders) as 'old superstitions'.

The modern global economy is efficient at unprecedented
levels; this implies a degree of rigidity, and assumptions
tend to get made about resource allocation which reflect a
conventional lack of wisdom rather than, as they would all
have us believe, on hardheaded realistic business analysis.

Because it is all tied togather by assumptions, it could
all collapse togather in a global economic financial panic.

In a panic, people get irrational; one of the effects will
likely produce a Luddite movement to destroy the machinery
(ie computers) which automated and replaced careers which
had ancient lineages and many adherents.

In any case, we know a paradigm shift is at hand; either
the Net and the global market will replace the nation state
and the political process as final arbiter, or a collapse
into anarchy eventually resolves into a modern feudalism,
with local control over local resources.  In either case,
if the cultural cosmology follows the political system,
then we will see the current vision of a steep pyramidal
heavenly power structure of God and His bureaucrats replaced
by a peer-to-peer system, where every place is as sacred as
any other place, ie, a neo-paganism, a pantheism.

Joseph Campbell would have a field day forever. ;-)

-- Arachne V1.50;beta, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://home.arachne.cz/