Dear Tim,
can you please cite a reference for this? Since I am working in the Dabie
(UHP Marbles and associated rocks) I am very interested in these
statements, which I have never hered before.
Thanks in advance
Robert

>Sol & Eric
>Dry extension did not occur in the Dabie Region of the Qinling.
>Highpressure minerals are trapped as inclusion trails in garnet
>porphyroblasts that formed during an early period of orogenesis and the
>inclusion trails  define about 3 sets of steep & shallow foliations. There
>were two subsequent periods of garnet growth, each over a succession of
>foliations with differently oriented intersection axes (FIAs), but a
>consistent succession in time. Since for both the younger sets of axes
>there is a succession of steep and shallow foliations preserved, orogenesis
>was similar to any other compressional orogenic belt I have ever worked in.
>Presumably the close by rocks with high pressure mineralogy still in the
>matrix went through a similar history but were not retrogressed by it.
>Perhaps all younger deformation simply partitioned around them?
>Porphyroblasts reveal this happens routinely on a large outcrop and greater
>scale. Why not for a whole package of rock, especially if it was surrounded
>by weaker schists.
>Cheers
>Tim
>
>>Sol and all,
>>   Dry extension.
>>Eric
>>

>>Talking of metamorphic rocks, does anybody know how ultrahigh metamorphic
>>>rocks, as seen in the Dabie Shan China, are transported from mantle depths
>>>back to the surface without undergoing extensive retrograde metamorphism or
>>>even melting as a result of the rapid decrease in pressure? The ultrahigh
>>>metamorphism must be related to continental collision but what is the
>>>mechanism of relaxation that allows these rocks to move so rapidly towards
>>>the surface?
>>>Sol
>>>

>>>***********************************
>>>
>>>Solomon Buckman
>>>
>>>Department of Earth Science http://147.8.150.90/Sols%20Homepage.htm
>>>
>>>University of Hong Kong http://www.hku.hk/earthsci/rock.html
>>>
>>>Ph. 852-28571759, Fax 852-25176912
>

>Prof Tim Bell
>School of Earth Sciences
>James Cook University
>Townsville
>QLD 4811
>Australia
>ph: +61 7 47814766
>fax: +61 7 47251501
>email: [log in to unmask]

Robert Schmid

Institut für Geowissenschaften der Universität Potsdam
Postfach 601553
D-14415 Potsdam
GERMANY

Tel. +49/331/977-2910