Richard wrote:

(snip)

>it strikes me as amazing that the list hasn't dissolved into complete
>anarchy and threats of personal injury!
>
>For me, it is inevitable that a subject that includes so much personal and
>heartfelt experience/oppression (whatever) and opinion, is bound to lead to
>vigorous postings.  No matter how hard we might try, understanding or
>agreeing with some of the views expressed on the list is going to be
>impossible for all of us at some point and, if we respond, no matter how
>carefully we craft our message, we cannot be sure of the context in which
>our postings will be received.
>
>I know that many of us on the list have problems with the nature of
>that (desired or not) will cause someone else frustration/anger/pain but I
>fear that all we can do is strive for responses to issues and not
>personalities and, if we feel that someone has over-stepped the mark (i.e.
>attacked someone personally) we send a simple message - like 'inappropriate'
>to voice our concern.
>
>That still leaves the problem of those who by choice or mood decide to be
>deliberately provocative or unpleasant and those whose sense of humour is so
>'off the wall' that misunderstanding is inevitable (I fear that I may come
>dangerously close to that category)!

I think Richard makes a lot of sense. Like him, I would also like to
encourage direct communication off-list when people experience difficulties
with things that are written or suggested. I'd also like to see more
comments of the 'please explain' kind rather than criticisms of 'academic
language' both off-list and on-list. I don't believe that the vast majority
who contribute deliberately sets out to befuddle and explanation is the
only way of crossing the knowledge barriers that Richard talks about. To
Richard's list above I would also add that there are many of us who believe
very passionately in what we do and we can sometimes make assumptions that
others share this passion and/or understand it.

We don't all exude confidence, even if some of us are very good at
pretending we do, nor are we all so arrogant or secure in our employment
that we can afford to be deliberately provocative. I would imagine that
some of us are hurt and angered far more deeply by implied criticism - we
don't know or are not sure whether the criticism is aimed at us - by
'complaints' by the back door to the list administrator that we never get
to see, by complaints that are actually targeted at one individual but
disguised in 'we' language, and by off-list approaches to our
friends/allies that seem to have the sole purpose of diminishing their
support for us, than by direct criticism.

Having said all of that, I am very wary of using this list or any list as a
kind of public confessional simply because of all the points Richard makes.
This is a public list and not all of those who view it will have honourable
intentions. I think feelings are very important, and should be expressed,
but I'd be the last person to want people's vulnerability, anger, lack of
knowledge or whatever to be used as a rod with which to beat them - and
disability studies - in the public domain. When you really think about it,
very few of us on this list have met face-to-face and it is only our
cyber-identities that get air space here. The knowledge that we have of
each other is therefore necessarily limited. But maybe it is sometimes
forgotten that we're real people too.

Best wishes

Mairian

P.S. For those who've asked about my 'third eye' all it means is question
assumptions, especially of the 'either/or' sort. Things are rarely what
they seem and everything has a context.

Mairian Corker
Senior Research Fellow in Deaf and Disability Studies
Department of Education Studies
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE

Address for correspondence:
111 Balfour Road
Highbury
London N5 2HE
U.K.

Minicom/TTY      +44 [0]171 359 8085
Fax              +44 [0]870 0553967
Typetalk (voice) +44 [0]800 515152 (and ask for minicom/TTY number)

*********

"To understand what I am doing, you need a third eye"

*********