Hi everyone,

I'm an undergraduate student at Stanford University in California, and I'm
currently working on my senior honors thesis on the idea of disabled
community.  (How do people with disabilities define disabled community?
How does it affect them in their lives?  How does self-identification
with disabled community vary by demographic factors?)  I'm new to the list
and really enjoy the conversations, and I hope some of you may be able to
share your thoughts and ideas for my project.

As a person with a disability, I gradually developed a notion of disabled
community, which to me means both the small network of people with
disabilities whom I know and interact with, as well as the global group of
all people with disabilities, with whom I feel some connection and shared
experience.  But disabled community does not mean this to everyone, and
entire populations may be somewhat excluded from "membership."  In my
project, I intend to examine what disabled community means to people, who
feels they are part of a disabled community (examining factors such as
race, gender, type of disability, etc.), and how disabled community may
affect people's lives.  I'm having some difficulty coming up with more
concrete and testable questions and hypotheses as well as dealing with the
connection between community and identity.  And then I see "disability
community" mentioned in some of your mailings, and I wonder if it even
needs to be defined or examined at all!

I would love to hear some of your thoughts and suggestions on my thesis,
either on or off-list.  Thanks!

Jessica Lehman