To all

I have been watching this debate for the past few days and have a few
thoughts/questions relating most to the disabled individual and the
social model.

(i  Why is the standard conception of the individual model of
disability seen by academics as 'personal tragedy' connected with words
like alone, prejudice, powerless?  When I think of the individual I
think of free thinking, with a great deal of autonomy (and yes a small
degree of societial influence but not as much as society is credited
with).  Though it is useful for political action when I hear the word
collectivism, I think faceless, nameless, mindless and mob like with no
autonomy.

(ii  Why does pain as being  as part of disability, go unrecognised?
when I am writing about Disability Personal Identity mostly from a
philosophical point of view and using a Phenomenological perspective
pain is an important part of disability.  No matter how much you treat
disability as social you will, in my view have to talk about the body
and maybe pain.  And yet the body is absent from nearly all discourse
on disability.  Even if you view disability as socially created, you
will have to talk about the body sooner or later, in my view if only to
explain how it society acted upon it, what mechanism, appartus were
used?

Thank you for you time.

Michael

"I am no doubt not the only one who writes to have no
face...Do not ask to me who I am and do not ask me to
remain the same.  Leave it to  the police and bureaucrats
to keep our papers in order. Spare us our morality when
we write" - Michel Foucault