Your messages were both really interesting.  Julia, we seem to be doing
quite similar things in terms of our research.  I sent a message about the
social model and long-term illness a few weeks back, seeking advice, and
which in part sparked many of the messages that have been going backwards
and forwards.

I work at the MS Society (of GB and N Ireland) and my role brings me into
regular contact with disabled people and organisations that have developed
their thinking/work along social model lines.  This has led me to undertake
a masters level research project, looking into the viability of the MS
Society itself using the social model to guide its work.  I am aware of the
criticisms often levelled at 'traditional charity' and the contradiction
that many see in a condition-specific organisation adopting a social model
stance.  I would be happy to tell you (or others) more about my research
plans off list, but want to raise a specific issue in this message.

Although I can appreciate how the social model can account for such things
as pain and fatigue, the issue of medical intervention in general is
something that complicates discussions that I have with people with MS - who
in most instances aren't particularly political or don't have an
academic/research background.

When does medical intervention to treat the symptoms of a condition such as
MS, evolve from being a positive input into their lives, enabling them to
continue doing whatever they want to do, into the more oppressive
'normalising' entity that is so criticised under the banner of the medical
model?

For instance, a woman with MS develops spasticity in her legs.  Although she
can walk, she doesn't like the 'faltering gait' that she has developed and
is prepared to try any form of medical intervention that will make her walk
'normally' again.  (This is based on a real situation.)  Are the treatments
that are offered to her oppressive because they try to normalise her outward
appearance, or justified because they meet her expressed needs?

There are other 'visible' symptoms that I could have used and which for me,
are harder to conceptualise than pain or fatigue, because the individuals
who experience them are often so desperate for the medical intervention and
they relate to the wish to return to an able-bodied 'normality' .  Such
intervention forms an important part of the lives of many people with MS and
as the majority of people develop MS in their 30s and later, they will have
internalised an able-bodied view of the world prior to this (unless they had
other impairments of course).

This leaves the problem of trying to promote the social model with people
who often cannot see how their personal concerns and priorities (for
intervention, for a cure) are addressed by it.

I dare say that I have illustrated quite well the limited nature of my
theoretical understanding of these issues.  My priority is to develop the
use of the social model as a 'tool for change', as you refer to it in your
message Richard.  I may be missing something very important and would
appreciate any guidance that you or others have to offer.

Joanna Ridley

Joanna Ridley
MANAGER OF WELFARE SUPPORT
0171 610 7175 Fax: 0171 736  9861