* sorry to wade back in (and slightly off topic) *

David and Others,

I more than take your points but, perhaps in my ignorance, have been
particularly intrigued by one theme that seems to be emerging
currently.  Both yourself and David Crouch mention DIY stores and I
wonder if there is any particular significance attached to this.  Are
they being occupied merely as stores or as DIY stores ?

To me DIY stores represent the pinnacle of the home invasion tactics
of capitalism.  Anything that we buy and take home takes up space in
our houses but here we are encouraged to use their products,
having paid for them, to modify or even build our personal
spaces.  The wallpaper hanging on our walls might not be so benign
after all.

But wait.  Isn't there something almost offensive about occupying
these spaces, or reclaiming them in whatever name, against the will
of the majority of the people who do want to buy paint or shelving ?
The people who see the commercial opportunities offered to them as an
enablement ? Possibly the very people who are disempowered to the
highest degree by the forces of global finance ?

We use the streets as a metaphor, OK, but still we come to the point
of reclaiming space (however it might be named). Any thoughts ?
Perhaps colonising new spaces ?  I like Ice-T's notion of a home
invasion - the attempt to instill the anger of Black America into the
white youth in preparation for the revolution (this is perhaps an
aside)

cheers
dan
Dan Knox