>Dear Dr Siff,
Thank you for your comments.  The purpose of my query was with regard to
normal functional movement rather than specific to a particular type of
lifting activity, although I appreciate the points that you make.
Many people, when asked to squat to the floor do so by simply allowing their
knees to flex under them, with resulting movement of the knee complex over
the toes,the heels lifting off the ground, and their spine staying more or
less vertical. However, when asked to 're-learn' a form of flat foot squat,
and integrate it into their normal activities, there is generally an
improvement in many of their symptoms with regard to both knee and low back
pain.
I would be interested to know the type of forces, and activity produced  by
the knee and hip extensors  during this type of activity as compared to
variations of flat foot squats. It appears that during the 'heel lift
squat', the hip extensors are less active, and the quads and patello femoral
joint are placed under a larger strain.
I apologise if  the question appears simplistic, but I would appreciate any
thoughts that yourself or anyone else may be able to offer.
Jon Baldwin