Dear PACSF subscribers,

Hi.  I'm Kaori, and I'm the'pacific-asia-cultural-studies' list owner.  This
basically means that I help you with any technical problems you might
encounter in receiving or sending messages to
'pacific-asia-cultural-studies'.  I am also here to facilitate, or, in this
case, start up cyberspace discussions.

So, here's what I suggest:

1. Firstly, could I suggest that subscribers introduce themselves?

(In my case, I'm a final year (?) PhD student at Goldsmiths College,
Sociology Department.  I'm looking at Japanese modernisation between
1868-1907, using Foucault's and other recent works on western modernisation
as comparative material to assess how Japanese modernisation was different
from the modernising processes of the West.  I am also interested in gender.
In fact, I first embarked on my PhD with the idea that I was going to be
looking at the constitution of 'modern' Japanese masculinity.  Somewhere
along the line, that theme kind of receded, and I've come to focus more on
the constitution of Japanese national identity.  However, I'd very much like
to return to or, actually, reach the point where I'm focusing on gender.
I've also been more or less invoved in PACSF from the beginning - at first
as a conference participant, and then as a member of the organising
committee.)

2. Secondly, I hope that most of you are aware of PACSF's three year
history?  (I believe I wrote a short statement which you should all have
received when you first subscribed.)  Well, PACSF is still very much alive
and kicking.  It looks like we'll be having three mini-conferences this
year.  Although plans are not finalised yet, it is likely that we'll be
inviting Homi K. Bhabha, Trinh T. Minh-ha, and Asada Akira as guest
speakers.  However, there's alot that needs to be sorted out yet, beginning
with deciding on this year's theme.  I'd like to ask all of you to voice any
wishes or opinions as to what this year's theme should be.  For example, the
theme for 1997 was exlemplified by the conference title, 'Globalising
Cultural Studies?'  The aim was to ask whether or not researchers working on
Pacific-Asian issues could fruitfully engage with British Cultural Studies,
and if so, how, and did this attest to some kind of globalising process?
The theme for 1998 was 'Dislocating the West and the Rest', and this
indicates that PACSF took on board a more post-colonial theme and began to
engage with post-colonial writings.

I guess 'coming up with a theme' might sound a bit too abstract?  Perhaps it
would be better if I could ask everyone to simply say what issues you would
personally want to raise with Homi K. Bhabha, Trinh T. Minh-ha, and Asada
Akira if you could (and you can) choose?  (For those of you who were
involved in organising the previous PACSF conferences, perhaps you'd like to
use this platform to reflect on what the conference(s) meant for you and
what themes or issues arose precisely from participating - they can be used
and incorporated in future themes that PACSF might decide to pursue.)

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Kaori Tsurumoto
Sociology Department
Goldsmiths College
University of London