-

> Dionysius the Areopagite (first century): After a simple mention in
> Acts
> 17,34, his cult spread throughout Europe, partly by identification
> with  St Denis of Paris,

And thus became instrumental in adding to Abelard's adversities.

"A few months later chance gave them the opportunity to work for my
downfall.  it happened that one day in my reading I came across a
statement of Bede, in his Commentary on the Acts of the Apostles, which
asserted that Dionysius the Areopagite was bishop of Corinth, not of
Athens.  This seemed in direct contradiction to their claim that their
patron Denis is to be identified with the famous Areopagite whose
history shows him to have been bishop of Athens.  I showed my
discovery, by way of a joke, to some of the brothers who were standing
by, as evidence from Bede which was against us.  They were very much
annoyed and said that Bede was a complete liar and they had a more
truthful witness in their own abbot Hilduin, who had spend a long time
travelling in Greece to investigate the matter;  he had found out the
truth and removed all shadow of doubt in the history of the saint which
he had compiled himself.  Then one of them abruptly demanded my opinion
on the discrepancy between Bede and Hilduin.  I replied that the
authority of Bede, whose writings are accepted by the entire Latin
Church, carried more weight with me."

The Supple Doctor.

=====