  I'm seeking texts -- preferably from
> one of
> the early medical campuses such as Solerno -- which deal even
> peripherally
> with the question of the female body.  As this university currently
> doesn't
> offer paleography, the professor who teaches it being on sabbatical,
> I need
> a text with comparatively easy script.
>
> I realize this is a religious list, and the theology surrounding the
> female
> body is certainly of interest to me as well, but I hope there might
> be
> someone out there with suggestions of where to turn.

Dear Renee:

Perhaps you have read "Medieval Theology and the Natural Body" Edited
by Peter Biller and A.J. Minnis (York 1997).  It contains an article by
The Ceramic Doctor on "Women's Bodies and Medieval Impediments to
Female Ordination" and one by Dyan Elliott on "The Physiology of
Rapture and Female Spirituality."  It even contains one by myself
(quamquam indignus) entitled "This Body of Death:  Abelard, Heloise and
the Religious Life."

The Supple Doctor.

=====