In a message dated 10-1-1999 3:59:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>   I do not know of any evidence for Ireland being a refuge for Jews.
>
>   Francine Nicholson

I was thinking that the Byzantine monks, if they indeed fled to Ireland, had
to cross western Europe to do this, and must have regarded it as worthwhile.

As you seem to know the literature, what exactly does it say about where the
Jews went after being expelled from England? If the question isn't asked or
isn't answered, do you think Ireland would have been more tolerant or less
tolerant towards non-Christians (Jews and Saracens) than, say, France or
Germany at the time?  Also, since you seem pretty certain that the earliest
arrival of Jews in England would not have been after the expuslion from
England, what's your alternate date for their arrival? Later, I presume. But
when?

pat sloane