Francine

My, you're persuasive.   I'm more convinced now -
particularly because your interesting reasoning has
resonances here in the Burton upon Stather churchyard.

The present church, which contains 10th century Saxon
architectural evidence according to Pevsner, was
probably built  on the site of earlier buildings (arguably
even as far back as Roman times for which there is
ashlar evidence ).

Close to the northeast corner of the chancel there is
a large, ancient yew tree standing on its own.  In the
centre of the churchyard area south of the church
there is another large yew tree, also standing on its own.
A short distance from the NE corner yew tree there
used to be a well (sadly filled in a few years ago). A
well usually has an ancient lineage.

The proximity of the church, the NE corner yew tree, and
the well,  fit comfortably with your thesis regarding the
religious associations of yew trees. Many thanks for the
references which I will follow up in due course.

There are many more yew trees in the churchyard but
their location would not seem to support a longbows
source hypothesis. For example, on the south side of the
church there is a row of five old yew trees lining the
east  side of the churchyard space.  Their number, size
and contiguity to each other suggest to me that they were
planted to screen  off the Black Bull Inn that was erected
in 1687 according to Pevsner.  I wish I knew how to age yew
trees. My  guess is that these five could be three hundred
years old.

The screen role in the southern location is given support by
the position of a further eight yew trees that line the north
and west sides of the churchyard area north of the church.
I haven't a sourced explanation of why these eight were
planted.  Churchyard tradition would be the reason for the
choice of tree however.

Ron Hornsby
Burton upon Stather