Donald,

Thanks for a very helpful clarification on a great deal that wasn't clear to
me.

One question, though. I'm not understanding how it could be determined which
translation is being followed in NT references to OT verses. At least in the
KJV, NT authors rarely give exact quotes of OT material, and what they seem
to give instead are fairly loose paraphrases.  This is close enough for the
reader to understand which verses are being mentioned, but not close enough,
I thought, to specify which translation of the OT was being used. Many of
these references come from speakers, who presumably weren't carrying around
their preferred edition of the OT. Somebody later wrote down what transpired,
and I don't even see any sign that the transcriber wanted to get the wording
exact. I see the inexactness as an argument for historicity.  It would be
odd, and actually suspect, if, say, Luke seemed to have as sophisticated an
understanding of the OT as the other Evangelists.

pat sloane