Following this thread, I've now encountered a brief account of John of
Bridlington in the Catholic Encyclopedia (
http://www.knight.org/advent/cathen/15105b.htm ).   Very interesting, but I
note the claim that 'The saint's feast is observed by the canons regular on
9 October', so whence the 21st?

Ian Tompkins

At 10:37 21/10/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Is the following relevant?
>
>Peck, Helen Margaret, Sister
>The prophecy of John of Bridlington
>Thesis (Ph. D.)--University of Chicago, 1930
>
>According to the copac search engine, Birmingham has a copy (England that
>is, not Alabama).
>
>Ian Tompkins
>
>At 10:21 21/10/99 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>>> Frideswide, virgin (735): Patron of Oxford; probably founded a
>>> monastery
>>> in the area, which was refounded by Augustinian canons regular in the
>>>
>>> twelfth century.
>>
>>And author of The Treacle Well.
>>
>>Today, 21st October, is the feast of a local saint, John of
>>Bridlington.  He was a 14th century Augustinian Canon at Bridlington.
>>Elected prior, he persuaded his brethren to have another election and
>>pick someone else.  When the office again fell vacant, he was prevailed
>>upon to accept it.  A humble man of prayer.  But no doubt one of our
>>learned members has written a thesis on him?
>>
>>The Supple Doctor.

Ian G Tompkins, MA, BD, DPhil
Administrative Assistant
Academic Registrar's Office
~~~~~~~~
Warden
Neuadd Penbryn - Penbryn Hall
~~~~~~~~
Prifysgol Cymru - The University of Wales
Aberystwyth
~~~~~~~~
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel:    (01970-62)2047(day); 2900(eve)