On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:54:40 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: 39 Articles
>
> > One tricky part about the insertion of Constantinople into the list of
> > patriarchs was the political rationale, privileging New Rome.  For this
> > reason (as I understand it) the cult of Andrew was cultivated, providing a
> > link to an apostle.  Peter was tied to Rome & (previously) to Antioch;
> > and he was tied to Alexandria through Mark.  Jerusalem's apostolic lineage
> > was through James (see Acts).
>
> One of Constantine's prominent foundations in Constantinople was the
> Church of the Holy Apostles, which at some point became the imperial
> mausoleum, but I can't remember whether Constantine himself was
> buried there.  This was where, I believe, the relics of St Andrew
> were kept.  Constantine also, of course, founded St Peter's Basilica
> in Rome, not to mention the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in
> Jerusalem.
> Cheers,
> Jim Bugslag

Andrew's head was brought to rome in the reign of Pius II;  see his
Andreis & his commentaries.  Thomas Palaeologus, despot of Morea, brought
it;  and an elaborate ceremony was staged to receive it.  I believe that
it now resides in S. Andrea della valle, best known otherwise as a setting
in Tosca.

Tom Izbicki