Servetus, also an Anabaptist, was burned in effigy by Catholics in France as
well.  Anabaptists became martyrs by the thousands, at Protestant as well as
Catholic hands.  Though Luther vehemently denounced their practice of adult
baptism, he wrote against their executions (which were particularly
horiffic):  "Still, it is not right, and I truly grieve, that these
miserable folk should be so lamentably murdered, burned, and tormented to
death.  We should allow everyone to believe what he wills.  If his faith be
false, he will be sufficiently punished in eternal hell-fire." !

Maeve