At 12:25 PM 10/7/99 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]

i don't understand.  it doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that
augustine's arguments are conservative politically, supporting the
ecclesiastical institution against threats from purists and millenarians and
allowing for the less than stellar performance of people in power, from priests
to emperors.  he meant them that way.  no one, as far as i can see, needed a
crystal ball to see what their political implications were.

what they did need a crystal ball for was to side with him immediately, in an
age where every political, natural and celestial sign pointed to the fact that
whatever A. said about not knowing it was the end, it sure looked like the end
(see the correspondance with Hesychius, 418-9, Epp. 197-99).

>What they were in a position to do was to evaluate the
>relative merits of Augustine's argument and these were considerable.

what merits?  you speak as if, in matters of theology and politics, reason
wins.

>I know
>of no one who adopted rather cynically Augustine's reasoning because it
>served some institutional interest. Perhaps you can offer evidence (besides
>hindsight) that this was not the case.

i don't see why we have to imagine that someone who adopted augustine's
reasoning because it served institutional interests wd have to be cynical.  the
classic conservative, aristocratic reading of these matters is that, for the
sake of order, we must do unpleasant things.  if one thought augustine's
position wd help order (esp an order one was in charge of assuring), then that
wd me more than enuf reason to adopt augustine -- indeed the best reason.