Dear Ron,

   A couple of sources I have looked at state that the yews in English
churchyards were not used to provide the wood for longbows. Here is
Grigson on the subject:

  "The churchyard Yews engendered the tallest tales about archery. But
they cannot have been planted for the bowyer, since he always fashioned
his bow from the trunk; and since a well-grown, straight trunk, free from
knots, gives only timber enough for a bare half-dozen weapons. Anyhow, the
mediaeval bowyer liked yew wood from overseas. The English timber was too
brittle and too knotty."

                 Cheers,
                 Martin Howley
Martin Howley, Humanities Librarian,                  Tel: (709) 737-8514
QE II Library, Memorial Univ of Newfoundland          FAX: (709) 737-2153
St John's, NFLD, Canada A1B 3Y1          E-mail:[log in to unmask]

[SNIP]