(With apologies for any cross posting.)

Ted Leonard wrote

> BTW, another source spammers use for email addresses is listservs
> such as this one. If your on a list whos commands include a "conceal
> identity" option, by all means use it.

Dear Ted,

Thanks for all your help in this.

I was naturally concerned by your last comment so subscribed to
mapsandprintsgb under a different name to see if an outsider could
join and easily pick up email addresses.

All the archived messages (only available to members) have partly
changed "from" addresses. Members have the option of hiding their
addresses in the onelist member center but as all the addresses in the
onelist mapsandprintsgb archives are false I must assume that this is
the default setting. Email addresses in the body of an archived
message are viewable but trawling for these would be a very time
consuming and unreliable process.

Only people with moderator privileges can see the list of members
addresses.

Moreover I have participated in many 'managed' internet "communities"
(mailing/discussion lists) like this one and never noticed the
increase
in spam that occurred as soon as I joined a public news group.

Since I complained to the Webmasters of the domains concerned I have
had no more spam from these people.

Also ONELIST have a very strong policy against Spam.

Nevertheless it would always be a wise move to check on the privacy
settings before joining any list.

For those of you who are concerned about spam and/or want to avoid it,
the complete thread of the discussion on Spam (from several discussion
lists) is at:

http://business.virgin.net/fine.art/nospam.htm

Thanks to those who contributed.

RW

--
R. Walker, Fine art & Business Resources.
Everything you wanted to know about internet domain names