Dear all,

In the last couple of weeks there has been a flurry of notices around the
NMR about contingency plans for the Millennium.  You are all probably
experiencing something similar but I thought that it might be worthwhile
putting a reminder on SMR Forum.  So,

The entire NMRC computer network is going to be closed down from Wednesday,
22nd December 1999 and will not be brought back up again until Monday 3rd
January.  That way any millennium bugs that might have been missed will not
affect the system.  All critical applications and data will have been backed
up in advance and stored safely.  Our IT department will be powering up the
network and running tests to make sure that they operate correctly and are
year 2000 compliant the day before staff come back to work.

There have been extensive checks and upgrades to the NMRC network and we are
optimistic that it will come back up as normal on the 3rd January.  However,
we have also been asked to plan work in case we are without computers for up
to a week.

I hope this helps,

Kate Fernie