I am quite a novice to the field of clinical research.  While reading a
study which was a double-blind RCT, I noted the conclusion that the
experimental group did not have a significantly improved response to
therapy over the placebo group. The conclusion, therefore, was that the
treatment was ineffective.

My question is this: Are we right to assume that a placebo-treated group
is a true  "control" population when studying a disease which is subject
to psycho-somatic exacerbations? If this patient population's response
to placebo is high, might this not be an unfair standard against which
the treatment modality is  measured?