Hi Wndi, Margaret:
Thank you both for your input. Interesting enough from across the world in "icy
-cold" Montreal, I can assure you that our experiences are so similar that it is
scary.
In the manual I'm co-writing, we are addressing most of these issues as well as
the
need for universal access. I decided to be concrete and spell out in check-list
format
 (5 check-list so far) what they need to do a, b,c,   This maybe kindergarten
treatment, but honestly this is what seems to be needed, The fancy  "equality
and justice for all"  commitments were nice but empty.

 By  participating in community groups in  the last 20 years, I've learned that
if you
make connection with them and  their issue ex. If we are addressing poverty I
ask
questions e.g.  "Do you know the number of women with disabilities that ... Do
you
know what that percentage is for men with disabilities, children and so on.
Often this
arises interest.  Forcing the issues or just telling them that they are omitting
us can be alienating. Each of us has its own struggle and that is seen  as the
most important that the others.

 Sometime I get asked to go back and give them workshops or participate in
writing the report of course this is not always the case . In Quebec 5 years ago
issues of disability were left out of the major shift in economic L'économie
sociale . End result is that social groups, community groups,  that are supposed
to be filling in for cut back in government services are inaccessible. Even
though I know this is Band-Aids work. I'm hoping to make a difference( a
difficult thing to accept   for any one who expected  naively but sincerely that
the social revolution would happen in their life-time.
Maria