Richard,

since I take many of your comments below (and in several other posts) to
be insinuations directed towards me, that is, a thinly veiled personal
attack in response to remarks I made in a previous post, I would like to
take this opportunity to respond to you.

First, I do not underestimate the impact that the social model has had
on the lives of disabled people in your country; nor do I underestimate
the role the model has played in transforming those lives.  However, I
think that it is possible to be critical of the model without denying
any of this.  In fact, I believe that it is essential for members of
social movements to be self-critical, to continously question the nature
and effectiveness of the tools they use to achieve their goals, as well
as the goals themselves.  My dissatisfaction with the category of
impairment derives or arises from this sort of questioning.  I believe
that a more transformative approach to disabled people's
oppression would be human-rights based and would identify the
classification of impairment as a legacy of the medical model.

Second, you have made various insinuations about 'using the social model
for purely theoretical reasons' and 'academic navel-gazing'.  Since we
have never met nor corresponded on any other matter, I think it is safe
for me to assume that you don't know the circumstances of my present or
past life, know nothing of my experiences of institutional life, know
nothing of my experiences of disability oppression, and know nothing of
my experiences as a disabled person with a cognitive impairment. (On the
basis of reflection upon these past and present experiences, I think
that I am fairly well-placed to contend, as I did, that the conception
of disability that social modellists promote does not encompass the
modes of oppression which people with cognitive impairments confront.)
In addition, I think it is safe for me to assume that you unaware of the
fact that I have been actively involved in organizing disabled women
(and disabled lesbians in particular) in my city and country for the
past decade.  Finally, I think it is safe for me to assume that you are
unaware of the fact that I am not an academic per se, but that I am
Research Associate at The Roeher Institute, which conducts research
intended to promote the human rights of people with intellectual
impairments, is the leading institute of its kind in Canada, is
non-profit, and is closely associated with the Canadian Association for
Community Living (whose 40,000 strong membership is comprised of
self-advocates and their families).

Regards,
Shelley Tremain