Hi John,

I see that Ron Amundson has starting a trend; it seems that people on
this list are determined to drop the second vowel from my birthname! :-)

Perhaps I have been misunderstood.  Or maybe I have misunderstand your
remarks below.  I agree with your point about power relations between
and within groups.  Furthermore, I was not suggesting in my post that we
should attempt to discern or weigh "who is more oppressed".

On the contrary, my analogy with feminism was intended to show that (as
most feminists will acknowledge) in order for the experiences of
oppression which women of colour, black women, poor women, and queer
women confront to be taken into account, the conception of "women" and
"women's oppression" which was early advanced by predominantly white,
middle-class heterosexual feminists has had to be rethought and
reconceived.  For whilst at one time (white) feminists were concerned
almost exclusively with asymmetrical relations of power between men and
women (that is, gender), most feminists now recognize that any
politically and theoretically astute account of women's oppression must
explain the ways in which gender is inextricably intertwined with race,
class, sexuality, age, etc. [disability has for the most part been
ignored by non-disabled feminists].

My point is that in order to address the modes of oppression which
people with cognitive impairments confront the conception of disability
(i.e., restrictions of activity) which is promulgated on the terms of
the hegemonic version of the social model needs to be reconceptualized
also. In short, I think that if 'we' (people with cognitive impairments)
are to have our particular experiences of oppression (and
discrimination) acknowledged and addressed, it won't suffice to change
PRACTICE (e.g., to simply do more and better awareness training or
advocacy.)  Theoretical revision is needed.  I think one way in which we
should begin to do this is by interrogating epistemological
positionings. I hope others on this list will suggest additional or
alternative ways.

Best regards,

Shelley Tremain, PhD,
The Roeher Institute