Picking up your comments Fiona about the lack of use of pwds as disability
studies teachers, and Lawrence's suggestion of an international publication
index of articles by academics and others with disabilities, is it time in
Australia that we did that on a national basis?  May be useful in
confronting Oz disability studies preoccupation with service delivery.

Margaret Cooper
7/24 Moorhouse Street,
Armadale Australia 3143

----------
> From: Alexander & Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: RE: Singer/Asch debate
> Date: Saturday, 23 October 1999 16:26
>
> Hi all,
>
> I haven't contributed to list list for some time, but feel very strongly
> about this issue. I speak from my own 'experience' and the Australian
> context.  Up until recently there has been little in the way of supports
> facilitate the involvment of pwd's in tertiary education. 'disability' is
> very expensive.  It took me ten years (between working full-time to pay
the
> rent to stay out of a nursing home) to finish my degree. I finally at
aged
> 36 have commenced my PhD. Over this time I have witnessed a number of
> academics scrambling for new discplinary areas as the future of others in
> the humanities/social sciences shift or have bleak scenarios.  I am
reminded
> of the comments of Deborah Marks who as an AB women (her term) says "
.my
> fear is that I will be positioned in relation to disability in the way
that
> men have been positioned in relation to feminism.  Despite adopting the
> langauge of postructuralism, the course risks slipping into an
examination
> of 'other'. (Deborah Marks 1996: 70).  So whilst I would not advocate
ruling
> out AB people from teaching disability studies per se , their involvement
is
> I believe problematic.  Firstly, in Australia at least there are so few
of
> us who identify as having 'disabilities' as holding tenured (or indeed
> contract) positions in the universities and TAFE.  This problem is
magnified
> by the small number of critical disability studies courses.  Many courses
> are already initiated by people with the system who are supportive of the
SM