Hello everyone, as a newcomer to the group I thought I would put my
'twopennyworth' in.  I fully agree with Amaryllis and I have not heard
of any spinal injury person distancing themselves from other disabled
people because they belong to the fit side of disability and not the
sick/ill side.  I personally know a lot of disabled people through a
national charity that I am heavily involved with.  We (in the
organisational sense) do not differentiate between disabilities and our
annual conferences are testimony to the many different impairments that
there are in the disabled world.  We refer to ourselves (tongue in
cheek) as either stiffs or floppies...I will let you work it out, but
the point I am making is that we have many spinal injury members and
muscular dystrophy/atrophy members as well the 'walking wounded' hard of
hearing etc, you name we have it! In my personal experience when I have
met a 'wheelchair' disabled person, I haven't a clue why they are in the
wheelchair and as a disabled person myself, it does not matter.  I have
always been amused by the AB world who when meeting me will often ask
'who is that person over there in the .... what is wrong with them?'
They look at me in amazement when I say I haven't got a clue but he is a
miserable......!  Having said the above about spinal injury v sick/ill
disabled side, I do know of many disabled people who will not mix with
other disabled people in a group setting...due to many various reasons
and prejudices.

Bye for now

Denise
In message <[log in to unmask]>, "A.Elphick"
<[log in to unmask]> writes

--
Denise Webber