CTI Mathematics Monthly report, September 1999

Centre staff were involved in four national events during September:
the Undergraduate Mathematics Teaching Conference (UMTC) at
Sheffield Hallam University, the Mathwise User Group (MWUG)
Annual Conference and AGM at the University of Birmingham,
ALT-C 99 at the University of Bristol, and the launch of the Royal
Statistical Society’s Centre for Statistical Education (RSSCSE) at
Nottingham Trent University.

Pam attended the first day of UMTC, and set up a stall for the
delegates to browse through during their coffee breaks.  She
helped to organise day 2 of ALT-C, which was organised into
subject specific streams.  Six papers were presented in the stream
relating to Mathematics, Physics and Engineering.  She also
attended the RSSCSE launch with John Blake.

The organisation of the MWUG conference was done by Greig in
his role as the Secretary of MWUG, in conjunction with Julia Meek,
 the Mathwise Coordinator.  This organisation was supported by
Pam and CTI Mathematics.  A full report of the day can be seen on
 the MWUG website.
 [http://mat-nt2.bham.ac.uk/mwug/mwug99/w-mwug99.htm]

We received a reply to our second stage bid for the new Learning
and Teaching Support Network Centre for Mathematics, Statistics
and Operational Research, to the effect that our proposal provides
an acceptable basis on which to proceed to contract.  The letter
outlined a number of important residual issues to be resolved
as part of the contracting process.

In the meantime CTI Mathematics activities continue as usual.
Work on the November edition of Maths&Stats has begun and
preparation is taking place for a Matlab workshop in conjunction
with the CTI Centres for Engineering and Physics, to be held in
December at Queen Mary and Westfield College, London
===============================
Greig Fratus
Information Officer
CTI Mathematics