Hello Rod,

I think that the vast majority of the list members would agree with you -
even I started out defending student contributions to this list.  HOWEVER,
there is a great deal of difference between open discussion of a particular
sportmedicine topic and one-to-one dialogue that is completely unrelated to
the purpose of SPORT-MED.

No one sincerely wants college/university students to leave the list, only
to use this tool in a manner that is reasonable and appropriate.  The list
was starting to resemble a chaotic chat-room rather than a forum for people
with a genuine interest in sport medicine to communicate, share ideas, and
expand intellectually.

Having said that, I think that students can serve a vital role to helping us
all better understand this field.  They tend to ask questions and approach
problems in unique and intriguing ways, they force us to challenge our
current understanding, and they may ultimately help us to make a very
necessary paradigm shift in the way we see a particular condition/treatment
strategy/... etc.  Of course, this presupposes that the student has actually
gone to the library to do an initial literature search, actually READ some
of the articles, and possibly has spoken with a faculty member before
approaching the list members with a discussion topic.

Unfortunately, I have seen little of such efforts from our student members.
Instead, there has been a barrage of posts that should have been sent
directly to the parties concerned.  Neither do I consider messages such as
"Hi, I'm interested in learning about knee injuries.  Please send me any
related information", to be particularly relevant.

Sure, when we are new to something, we make mistakes.  We step on toes.  But
we eventually get the hang of it and maybe even show true competence.  I
hope the students reading this post will eventually contribute to
discussions.  It's part of the learning process.  I think that with term
papers and other assignments due in the near future, this list would welcome
inquiries related to gaining a greater understanding of the literature on a
given topic.  Hey, they may even get the chance to correspond directly with
one or several of the authors!

This lengthy message was not intended to be a rant about the recent history
of the list, so I apologize if it carries strong overtones.  I'm sure that
many will agree that with time already at a premium, going through
unnecessary postings can be a frustrating and unwelcome experience.
However, I think that some students may be surprised at the positive
response they may receive when approaching the list with a well thought out,
structured query.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue (as I see it, at least...)

Best regards,
John R. Gray, M.Sc. C.S.C.S.